Monday Morning: Fail

I had great plans this morning to get up at 8:30 (or just stay up after the usual 7:00 or so wake-up time with Lyra) and catch a bus over to Lynn Valley to go to a La Leche gathering. You know, my attempt at making other mother friends and being social and such. I was up at 7, and fell back asleep by 7:45, but not without setting my cellphone to wake me up at 8:30.

Phone went off and it took me a minute or so to figure out what the noise was. I switched off the alarm and immediately fell back to sleep. I woke up again at 9:07 and tried to be less groggy, but it wasn’t working out for me. Lyra wanted to be fed again, so I did that, realizing that I would have to leave by 9:30 to get to this meeting thing for ten by bus (just to be on the safe side.) 9:30 came by and we were still feeding. By 9:35 she was pretty done with food, so I set her down and tried to get dressed.

Unfortunately for me, Lyra flipped out and couldn’t be calmed down. I got dressed and brushed my teeth and picked her up to try and console her – she wasn’t having any of it. Apparently my putting her down to get dressed was not in her plans for the morning. She spent from 10 until 11 alternating between crying and fussing. There was no way I could get things together without her totally losing it again. Now she’s asleep in my lap again, which is preferable to screaming.

I’m rather hungry and need some breakfast/lunch, however. Maybe I’ll try putting her in the car seat for a minute and put the sling on so she can be close to me and I can still get some food… or am I just inviting disaster again?


  • madhatter

    August 11, 2008 at 7:22 pm

    Not fail, just a change in plans. The fact you had a plan in the first place is all that counts.

    My son Fox refused to be put down for what seemed like forever. I swore I wasn’t going to be one of those parents that would just pop my kid in a bouncy seat or a swing. As the first month went by I began to realize that If I ever wanted another meal or clean hair on my terms I was going to have to compromise. So I bought a swing. It worked because I think it distracted him enough that I could get whatever I needed to get done ( quickly mind you ) taken care of. If I lived near I’d bring it by. I still think I spent too much money on it but I was fed and didn’t have ikcy hair.

    Hang in there, the first two months are the hardest.

    • Jenny Lee Silver

      August 11, 2008 at 10:23 pm

      To be totally fair, I knew when I was up at 7 that if I went back to sleep there was a good chance I wouldn’t make it out the door by 9:30… and at that point I valued sleep over getting out. I think overall I still value sleep over getting out.

      I’d try a swing, although not sure where I’d put it right now – at the moment we have one of those bouncy vibrating chairs, and she’ll sit in it for about ten minutes at most so far. I’ll keep working on that and the bassinet.

      I can, however, put her into the car seat if she’s already asleep, and she’ll stay asleep (usually.) I’m working on getting the same out of the bassinet, but so far she only sleeps for about ten minutes in that before waking up and being highly insulted that she’s in there.

      thanks for the advice/comments… I appreciate it 🙂