Free Iced Coffee anyone?

I need breakfast.

Here’s what happened on the weekend:

Camping was about as chaotic and silly as I expected. We got a call at 8:30 that our friend’s friend had found a site that wasn’t full, right across from Shannon Falls near Squamish. It was a private site, and not nearly as nice as some of the local provincial campgrounds. We headed out there after grabbing some food, and arrived at 10pm to set up our tents in the dark (not that tough, our tent is super easy to set up.)

We got up early, as we generally do when camping. Something about early morning sunlight and crows and other such things that make you want to wake up. Saturday itself was a bit of dull day – we walked across the street to Shannon Falls, which is of course lovely as always but still very, very touristy. Adam and I wanted to hike the Chief, but we hadn’t brought enough water to do so, and some of the people we were with were extremely ill-equipped for such an endeavour. Sadness.

We then spent some time swimming at Alice Lake just north of Squamish. It’s been a year since I’ve personally been swimming in a lake, and I have missed it. Alice lake was quite nice, the perfect temperature for swimming, and not so busy that it was crowded out. Maybe that is why my legs are a bit sore today…

Saturday night we were back at the campsite, where someone was informed that ‘a wedding was being held at the campground.’ That’s fine, we thought, who doesn’t enjoy a nice wedding party, and since it’s a public campsite they’ll likely turn off the PA System around 1am or so out of respect for the few hundred other campers.

Turns out that if you pay a private campsite enough, they’ll completely ignore their own rules of ‘no loud music after 10pm, no exceptions.’ We crawled into our tents around 1am in the hopes that the party (which had degenerated to a drunken bad techno psuedo-rave by then) would be shut down soon. No such luck. By 3am we were going mental – people were getting on the microphone and screaming at the top of their lungs, they weren’t even playing songs all the way through, and it was still brutally loud – and we weren’t that close to things. I had put in earplugs and could still hear everything. Adam was so restless that he kept me up for 3/4 of the night anyhow. Eventually, one of our co-campers went to the washroom and ran into one of the campsite managers, who said he wasn’t going to stop the party.

Our co-camper called the police, who apparently came out and shut it down. That was around 3:30 in the morning. It was finally quiet in the pre-dawn light, and I was nearly able to relax, except that Adam was so restless and annoyed and frustrated by that point that he couldn’t sleep – which kept me awake. I lay awake until he finally fell asleep as the light grew, then I followed.

We were up early again to the sound of raucous crows, probably only netting about 2 hours of sleep altogether. We had some breakfast, packed up camp and headed home. After lunch at home Adam went to bed and I surfed for a while until I passed out on the couch. I then got up and crawled into bed with Adam around 3pm. We slept until 8pm, then got up and made dinner.

We didn’t end up going to bed until 12:30, but then managed to sleep the whole night through anyway. I guess we were tired. Stupid campsite, we’re never going back there again, or recommending it to anyone. Adam wrote an email to their ‘how did you enjoy your stay’ email address telling them exactly how we enjoyed our stay. I think artyste might have as well.

Anyhow, don’t go camping at Klahanie Campground. Ever.


  • mandamus

    August 29, 2006 at 5:05 pm

    I hope you paid them with Visa … Write them a letter saying they didn’t provide proper services (right to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of campsite you rented) and want full refund on your Visa card – and that if they don’t you will file a complaint with Visa about not receiving services paid for (in which case their merchant account gets pooched)

  • Jenny Lee Silver

    August 29, 2006 at 6:42 pm

    Sadly, no. I only have a Mastercard and the interest is so insanely high on it that I do my best not to use it as much as humanly possible. We pooled together our cash and paid that way (in advance, since that’s how they do it at campsites.)