A very long entry. Splendiiferous, if you will. Deal.

This has been a very busy weekend. It did start slow, with the whole ‘sit at home on the computer doing nothing’ for a good part of yesterday morning and into the afternoon, but then things started to actually happen. I like things that happen.

Fun with Nanochrist

I met Adam downtown and we had lunch with nanochrist (the whole band.) We had lunch at the Templeton Diner where the food was fantastic as always (and I resisted the temptation of both a Five Dollar Shake and Jones Soda, go me!.) It was nice to actually meet the other guys in Nanochrist. I’ve seen them play a few times before, but never actually talked to any of them besides Mike.

We then brought the guys back to our place where they got to discover the fantastic view from our balcony and the leakiness that is above our toilet (hey, at least the roof leaks into the toilet bowl, it’s kind of convenient that way.) They went back out to the bar to wait for a sound check, and Adam took a nap while I lurked online. We went out to see the band play around 10:30, since they were supposed to be on at either 11:30 or 12:15. We weren’t clear on exactly when. We arrived at the bar to discover that the whole thing was disorganized. We listened to a few of the other bands play, watched the unfolding lack of amplifier Crisis, and chatted with Astrid (who has an lj, I believe,) and peekaboo. The crises were sorted out, the band played after 1:00 am, I took some pictures, and it was good.

Having the uber-mellow acoustic rock/folk/singer-songwriter/mellow electronic kind of musical tastes I have, Nanochrist isn’t generally my kind of music. I have always enjoyed them seeing them live (except maybe the time I had the really terrible tension headache from hell, but that’s a different story.) They were by far the most interesting band that we saw that night. I really enjoy the music, it’s got a lot going on and it has tonnes of energy, which is great – I just have trouble really listening to something I can’t understand the words to. I have to face the facts – I want the option to sing along, and my voice is pretty and nice, not angry and screaming.

Anyhow they were good and I enjoyed the show.

We got home at 3:30 am after a quick Tim Horton’s stop to feed the insatiable Steve, and then everyone crashed out.

I believe Mike woke up with a Dayle lying on his chest and staring him in the face.

You came in with the breeze on Sunday Morning

Sunday morning after maybe five hours of sleep, we got up and went for breakfast, where the once again insatiable Steve ate two full breakfast plates. We then piled into cars and drove up Cypress mountain to the various lookout points, because you can’t come to visit Vancouver and not see a mountain up close and personal. Plus, looking out over Vancouver is really too beautiful not to share. We got all the way up to the top where we discovered that the ski hill was actually open, although not very busy. The parking lot was large and quite empty…

And much spinning in donut-like Grand Prix inspired circles ensued.

We then came back down the mountain and the band that slept on my floor took off for the airport.

Tara arrived at our house, and the three of us took off to Burnaby Mountain’s lower trails with our bikes. It was the first time Adam’s been on his bike in about 8 months, it’s the first time Tara’s ever been out on real trails, and it’s the first time I’ve been out since last September.

Since we were literally around the corner from my brother’s house in Burnaby, and it is his birthday today, we gave him a call and stopped in there to say hi and happy birthday. We were invited in for dinner and cake, which was very good.

And then we watched Advent Children. Oh man. It was beautiful. I want to watch it again. Right now.

1 Comment

  • cyn

    May 1, 2006 at 2:02 pm

    thanks for babysitting the boys… mike said that he had a wonderful time. i’ll be getting full details tonight.