Perhaps The Best Day Ever So Far

I believe I should do this in a daytimer style, because I’m a little drnk and it might get rambly.

6:00am: Wake up

7:00am Catch Seabus

7:30am Job interview #1: Lush Cosmetics. Really applied on a lark, and didn’t feel strongly about getting a job there – kind of think the fragrance would really bug me after an hour or so in the store every day. But went to interview anyhow. It was a group interview, they asked the standard questions and had us write down our answers. We then had to present our answers to the group. The usual canned questions.

8:30am: The Lush people choose their three final candidates, of which I was not one. They gave the rest of us care packages of bath bombs and bubble bath. It was nice. I didn’t care much because I really had to get to another interview at…

9:00am: Second interview at a magazine publisher This was perhaps the best interview I have ever had in my life. I felt connected to the interviewers, I was on the ball with answers, and was absolutely perfect for the job. It felt amazing. The interview was about 40 minutes long. I’ll spare you the details, although I was told I gave the best answer for one of their canned questions they had ever heard. It felt good.

9:40am: Finish inteview and walk out of the building. I seriously felt amazing. It was the best natural high ever, I felt like it had gone incredibly well and that I really could have walked away with the job, but I had no real certainty to it besides that feeling. I called Adam to tell him how it went. He tells me that while I was in the interview, another place called the house to ask me to come in for an interview. I go into minor shock.

9:45am: Called Tara to see if she wanted to go for coffee or something. I woke her up, which she was okay with, and she drove down to meet me at the Blenz on Burrard & Robson. We spent a couple of hours after that just window shopping on Robson. It was great fun. I tried to eat lunch (a slice from the flying wedge) but was still too nervous to eat, and felt queasy.

1:00pm: Caught the Seabus back to the North Shore. Was early for my bus to work, so I wandered around Lonsdale Quay where I found the absolutely perfect pendants I’ve been looking for. I must go back to buy them this weekend.

1:26pm: Walk over to the bus terminal area to catch my bus to work, only to discover that it has already left a few minutes early. Was incredibly annoyed. Called work to tell them I would be late.

2:00pm: Caught the bus.

2:25pm: Arrive at the mountain. I figure I’m already late, so I’ve got time to go to the bathroom before I go in to the store. I run in and go. As I’m about to wash my hands, my cellphone rings. The girl from the second interview – the amazing job that I would love to have – calling to ask me when I can start, preferably as soon as possible. I tell her I can shuffle around my mountain shifts and start Monday without too much trouble.

Ta-da, I have a job doing admin type stuff for a publishing company. And if I hadn’t been late for work, I wouldn’t have been able to answer the cellphone. Amazing.

2:30pm: I tell one of the supervisors about the job offer, and tell her to send down the overall manager when she’s leaving to talk to me. I’d rather tell her in person, after all.

2:40pm: Looking at the schedule, I realize that next Friday is Good Friday, and most offices close for such things. Mountains, not so much. I call the girl at the office back to find out if this is the case, and she says yes they’re closed. She also tells me that she called my references (after offering me the job) and that they were all great. Thanks references!

I then worked until 8:00, and then came back down to Lonsdale Quay to go for a pint of Strongbow with Adam, Rory, and Rory’s friend Britta.

And now I am home.

I’ll be keeping the mountain for a little while, they’re kind of short-handed, but I’ll only work one day on weekends and maybe one or two night shifts after work at the office.

Oh yeah, and they asked me to submit the article I’m writing to one of the magazines they publish. Because they thought the article concept was awesome, and they’d probably be interested in it.

Oh. My. God.

This is a career. Salary. Regular full time hours. And they already know I have to go back to Ontario for the wedding. And… well. Wow.

Things are awesome.


  • jerronimo

    March 18, 2005 at 7:22 am

    😀 Huzzah!

  • msfancypants

    March 18, 2005 at 10:53 am


    They never called. If they had, you’d be managing the place by now!

  • strange

    March 18, 2005 at 2:06 pm

    Congrats, that’s awesome.

    I love the publishing business, even a year and a half later.

  • jenny

    March 18, 2005 at 2:41 pm

    I am so very happy for you! This is so exciting!

  • spadoink

    March 18, 2005 at 2:52 pm

    and you didn’t mention that this was mere moments after being offered a promotion and a raise at the mountain.

    you just had to wait for people to get how valuable you are.

  • mandamus

    March 18, 2005 at 3:00 pm

    Huge Congratulations 🙂

  • cyn

    March 18, 2005 at 3:10 pm

    HURRAH! i’m so happy for you!

  • lafemmezilla

    March 18, 2005 at 4:21 pm

    YAY!!! How awesome for you!

  • ginamoog

    March 18, 2005 at 4:33 pm


  • maggi1234

    March 18, 2005 at 5:05 pm

    /me does a happy dance for you

  • triggerhappy

    March 19, 2005 at 3:05 am