Bacchanalia Day Three: Rain

Day Three: Rain

I can’t remember much about waking up on day three. I seem to remember waking up a few times before actually deciding to get up. I also seem to remember it not being particularly bright out, and being exceptionally bleary-minded. When I finally dragged myself out of my tent, it seemed everyone else was in the same state. It was an altogether dreary morning.

Once I had had breakfast, I started feeling better. We watched the sky a good part of the morning, wrapped up in warm layers to protect against the chill in the air. The clouds were moving pretty seriously, and we watched and considered a daytrip. Half of the group wanted to go on a daytrip, the other half wanted to stay and sun on rocks. As it turned out, the weather allowed neither.

We kept an eye on the sky when we went swimming. When it started to thunder, we decided that maybe a daytrip wasn’t the best plan for the day, and perhaps neither was swimming. We didn’t want to repeat the experience from Bacchanalia 1993, when the group was swimming and the water nearby was hit by lightning. No one really wants to be hit by lightning twice – getting away with it once is enough. Some things don’t need to become a tradition.

Five of us – Paul, Adam, myself, Ian and Lana – stayed outside as it started to rain. We huddled under the cooking tarp boiling water for coffee and tea, and subsequently drinking coffee and tea. The rain drizzled on for quite a while, Paul and I snapping various pictures. When it started raining harder, Paul threw in the towel and headed for his tent. The four of us left waited it out a while longer… and then the tarp started to leak. It was then we decided to head for the big tent (mine and Adam’s) to play some Euchre.
After great spillage of coffee and tea on the floor of our tent, which was cleaned up using Lana’s clothing, we got started playing Euchre – girls against boys. The boys looked to be winning for the first while, but then the girls came back and cleaned up. The second game belonged to the girls all the way, and the boys started throwing accusations of cheating around, as boys tend to do when girls beat them.

By the time we were done playing Euchre, the rain had stopped and the sun was out. We decided to go swimming, as Adam wanted to fill up our two pretty-coloured water bottles away from the shore. He swam out with the bottles and a pool noodle, while I swam around closer to shore. He attached the full water bottles to his swim shorts using a biner. Paul appeared onshore with our Frisbee and tossed it out into the lake. I started after it, since it hit the water closest to me.

Adam saw the Frisbee hit the water and thought it was sinking. Not wanting to lose the Frisbee, he started to swim towards where it had landed. I reached it before he did, and as I turned around with it to see what was going on, I saw Adam a few metres away. He suddenly stopped and swore, then dove under the water.
It took a few seconds for me to realize what was going on. The water bottles, which he had thought securely attached to his belt, had unclipped when he sprinted for the Frisbee and sank. He had also thought that he had left some air in them when he filled them to make sure they would float – as it turns out, that’s difficult to do when one is at the same level as the water, rather than above it.

We spent a few minutes vainly trying to find our water bottles, but we learned something interesting about our campsite – the swimming rock is a very large rock that drops off into the depths of oblivion. Somewhere at the bottom of the lake are two water bottles, purple and teal coloured, to be found in a few thousand years as remnants of some strange civilization that threw water bottles into lakes to appease the canoe gods.

And so we were without water bottles. But at least we had a Frisbee… and guess what? Frisbee brand Frisbees float.

Adam felt pretty silly for a while for having lost our water bottles. Fortunately Paul and Jenn had a spare water bladder to lend us. We were greatly appreciative.

The evening was sedate and relaxed. Ian and I went out for a short paddle around the north end of Kokoko at sunset, and saw an illicit meeting of two beavers. We figured it was illicit because the beavers were swimming right for each other until they noticed us, at which point they both turned in different directions and pretended like they didn’t notice each other. A Beaver Tryst, as it were.

Dinner was had, campfire was lit to keep warm by and later doused. Everyone was tired from a day of rain (somehow it always seems to work that way – rainy days are low-energy days) and it was a relatively early night for us all. We listened to rain on our tents as we slept that night. It was calming.